SIU Seeking Driver of Light-Coloured SUV, a Potential Witness in Brampton Death Investigation
Case Number: 21-TCD-272
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TCD-272
- On August 24, 2021, the Toronto Police Service notified the SIU of this incident after Peel Regional Police Service reported it to the Toronto Police Service.
- On Monday, April 26, 2021, a 19-year old Brampton man met with two persons in the vicinity of Bellchase Trail and Highway 50 (Albion Road) in Brampton to conduct a business transaction. Shortly after the transaction was completed, the persons realized the item purchased was counterfeit.
- The persons chased and caught the man. The details of that interaction are not yet known.
- Sometime later, the man’s friends picked him up and noticed he appeared unwell. They took him to a hospital where he later died.
- The manner of death is undetermined at this time.
- The identity of the deceased man is not being released to protect the privacy of the family.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website at: https://siu.on.ca/en/video_uploads.php.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES