SIU Investigating Death of Man in Brampton
Case Number: 21-TCD-272
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TCD-272
- On Monday, April 26, 2021, a 19-year old Brampton man met with two persons in the vicinity of Bellchase Trail and Highway 50 (Albion Road) in Brampton to conduct a business transaction. Shortly after the transaction was completed, the persons realized the item purchased was counterfeit.
- The persons chased and caught the man. The details of that interaction are not yet known.
- The persons were TPS police officers (unknown whether they were on- or off-duty at the time).
- Sometime later, the man’s friends picked him up and noticed he appeared unwell. They took him to a hospital where he later died.
- The cause of death is unknown at this time.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Loida Pedro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342