SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Man’s Arrest in St. Catharines; Man Pronounced Deceased Days Later
Case Number: 23-OCD-166
- On May 3, 2023, Niagara Regional Police Service officers attended a home in the area of Pelham Road and Powerview Avenue to investigate a domestic incident.
- Officers asked a man to leave the home.
- When the man began causing a disturbance in the front yard, officers attempted to arrest him. A struggle ensued, and the man was handcuffed.
- Shortly after, the man went unconscious. Officers administered first aid to the man until paramedics arrived and transported the man to hospital.
- On May 7, 2023, the man was pronounced deceased in hospital.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES