SIU Investigating ARWEN Discharge by OPP Officer in Kenora
Case Number: 23-PFP-160
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-PFP-160
- At approximately 10:20 a.m. (Central) on Monday, May 1, 2023, OPP officers were conducting foot patrol in the area of McLeod Park (off of Lakeview Drive) when they came across a man lying across the railway tracks.
- The man rose to his feet and an interaction ensued between him and officers.
- The man fled the area on foot.
- A short time later, officers located the man again. He was in possession of a knife. An officer discharged his ARWEN at the man, but the man fled on foot once again.
- When the man was located again, officers arrested him and transported him to the OPP Kenora Detachment.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES