SIU Investigating Discharge of ARWEN at Man in Uxbridge
Case Number: 23-OFP-076
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-OFP-076
- Shortly before 6:30 p.m. on March 9, 2023, DRPS received a call regarding a dispute between family members at a home in the area of Balsam Street and Brock Street West.
- Shortly after officers arrived at the residence, there was an interaction between officers and the man. One officer discharged his ARWEN and the man was struck. Two other officers deployed their conducted energy weapons.
- The man was transported to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES