SIU Investigating After Toronto Officer Fires Less-Lethal Shotgun at Youth
Case Number: 23-TFP-044
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-TFP-044
- Just after midnight on February 14, 2023, officers responded to the area of King Street and York Street for a male with a knife.
- Officers located the youth and an officer fired a less-lethal shot gun at him.
- The youth fled and officers pursued him. The youth was apprehended near 320 York Street.
- The boy was taken to hospital and found to be free of serious injuries.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES