SIU Investigating After Police Officer Discharges ARWEN at Man in Brantford
Case Number: 23-OFP-016
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-OFP-016
- In the afternoon hours of January 10, 2023, an individual contacted BPS to report that while in Gilkison Flats Park, a man had threatened to harm him.
- Officers were dispatched to the area and they located a person of interest in the area of Veterans Memorial Parkway and Gilkison Street.
- When the man refused to remove his hands from his pockets, an officer deployed his ARWEN and the man was struck. Another officer discharged his conducted energy weapon at the man.
- The man was subsequently apprehended and taken to hospital. He did not sustain any serious injury.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES