SIU Investigating York Officer-Involved Shooting Death of Man in Vaughan
Case Number: 22-OFD-264
- At approximately 11:50 p.m. on October 9, 2022, officers went to Universal EventSpace at 6250 Vaughan Valley Blvd., after they were alerted about a man inside with a firearm.
- There was an interaction with officers and the man, and one officer shot the man.
- Officers provided first aid. Paramedics took over medical care and he was transported to hospital via ambulance with serious injuries.
- The man was pronounced deceased in hospital this morning.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES