SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Toronto Arrest
Case Number: 22-TCI-219
- At approximately 1:45 p.m. on August 28, 2022, a man was arrested by three police officers on bicycle in the area of Shuter Street and Jarvis Street.
- When the man complained of pain, he was taken to hospital where he was treated with a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES