SIU Investigating After Toronto Police Officer Shoots Man in Oshawa
Case Number: 22-TFI-185
- At about 6 a.m. on July 20, 2022, Toronto Police Service officers executed multiple warrants as part of an ongoing investigation at a residence near Simcoe Street North and Windfields Farm Drive West in Oshawa.
- During an interaction outside the residence, one officer shot his firearm and struck a man.
- Paramedics took the man to hospital where he remains.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES