SIU Investigating Police-involved Shooting in Ottawa; Man Fatally Shot and Woman Sustained Gunshot Wound
Case Number: 22-OFD-164
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-OFD-164
- At approximately 10:30 p.m. on June 27, 2022, a 911 call came in from a home on Anoka Street. On the call, screaming was heard, as well as information that someone was being stabbed.
- When Ottawa Police Service officers arrived on scene, they saw a man stabbing a woman on the road.
- When the man did not heed orders to drop the knife, three officers discharged their firearms. The man was struck, and he was pronounced deceased at the scene.
- The woman was also struck by police gunfire. She was transported to hospital for treatment of a non-life threatening gunshot wound.
- In the vicinity, the bodies of two other women were located.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES