SIU Investigating After Halton Police Officer Discharged ARWEN at Man in Burlington
Case Number: 22-OFP-108
- On the afternoon of April 13, 2022, a woman contacted 911 requesting that police check on the well-being of her son.
- Officers located the man in the area of New Street and Longmoor Drive, inside a shed on the property of a residence.
- Officers attempted to speak with the man, but this was to no avail.
- An interaction ensued, and one officer discharged an ARWEN at the man. The man was apprehended and taken to hospital for assessment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES