SIU Investigating Hamilton Collision
Case Number: 22-OCI-101
- On the morning of April 5, 2022, Hamilton Police Service officers observed a vehicle that had been involved in a collision earlier.
- Officers followed the vehicle and attempted to stop it.
- On Elmwood Avenue, between Garth Street and West 19th Street, the vehicle being investigated collided with several police vehicles.
- Officers apprehended the driver. He was taken to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations