SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting Death of Man in Markham
Case Number: 22-OFD-020
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-OFD-020
- At approximately 9:15 p.m. on January 21, 2021, a York Regional Police officer on patrol came upon a man outside a vehicle in a shopping plaza at Fairburn Drive and Highway 7 in Markham.
- There was an interaction and the man was shot.
- He was taken to hospital where he died. A female occupant in the vehicle was arrested by officers. She was not injured.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES