SIU Continues to Investigate Police-involved Shooting Death of Moses Erhirhie in Markham
Case Number: 22-OFD-020
- Interviewed eight witness officials
- Interviewed three civilian witnesses
- Analyzed video surveillance
- Conducted forensic analysis on involved vehicles, police-issued firearm
- At approximately 9:15 p.m. on January 21, 2022, a York Regional Police officer on patrol came upon a man outside a vehicle in a shopping plaza at Fairburn Drive and Highway 7 in Markham. There was an interaction and the man was shot.
- He was taken to hospital where he died.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES