SIU Investigating After OPP Officer Discharged ARWEN at Man in Greater Napanee
Case Number: 22-PFP-001
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-PFP-001
- After 11 a.m. on January 3, 2022 the OPP received a 911 call regarding a man in distress at his residence near Highway 41 and County Road 14 in the Township of Stone Mills.
- Officers were dispatched to the home. The man exited the home carrying a firearm.
- One of the officers fired his ARWEN at the man. A police dog subdued the man.
- Officers apprehended under the Mental Health Act and he was taken to hospital.
- The man was not seriously injured.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES