SIU Investigating After Officer Discharges Firearm in North York
Case Number: 21-TFI-168
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TFI-168
- At approximately 5:45 p.m. on May 30, 2021, Toronto Police Service were in an underground garage on Grenoble Drive to investigate the occupants of a vehicle.
- When the vehicle proceeded to flee from the garage, one officer discharged his firearm at the vehicle.
- The unoccupied vehicle was later located in the area of Finch Avenue East and Bayview Avenue.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations