SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Discharge of Firearm by Police Officer at Vehicle in Oshawa
Case Number: 21-OFP-122
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OFP-122
- At approximately 4:45 p.m. on April 16, 2021, Durham Regional Police Service officers were dispatched to the area of Harmony Road and Taunton Road for a report of a theft and of a suspicious person.
- A vehicle of interest was located in the Shoppers Drug Mart parking lot located at the northwest corner of the intersection, and one officer discharged his firearm at the vehicle multiple times.
- The vehicle fled and officers followed. The 45-year-old female driver was eventually taken into custody in the area of Highway 427 and Dundas Street in Mississauga.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342