SIU Investigating ARWEN Discharge in Niagara Falls
Case Number: 21-OFP-123
- On April 15, 2021, NRPS officers were dispatched to the area of River Road and Otter Street in Niagara Falls for a neighbor dispute call. When police arrived, one of the individuals barricaded himself in his home.
- At approximately 10:45 a.m. on April 16, 2021, officers entered the home of the 40-year-old man after obtaining a Feeney arrest warrant.
- An interaction ensued and an officer discharged an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN). The man was arrested.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342