SIU Investigating After OPP Officer Fires Pistol in Caledon
Case Number: 23-PFP-431
- At approximately 7:20 a.m., officers arrived in response to a call about a suspicious vehicle, identified as a Jeep Wrangler, on Tundra Road.
- The driver fled the scene, hitting an officer. During the melee, another officer fired his gun at least twice. A civilian vehicle was struck as was the Jeep.
- The officer is in hospital with serious injuries.
- The vehicle was located at a second location in Brampton. The occupants of the vehicle have not been located.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES