SIU Investigating Police-involved Shooting in Seaforth
Case Number: 23-PFI-424
- On the morning of October 18, 2023, the police received a report of a stolen vehicle.
- Officers in an unmarked police vehicle located the vehicle, and followed it until it pulled into the driveway of a residence in Seaforth.
- Officers approached the vehicle, and an interaction ensued.
- At some point, an officer discharged his firearm into the vehicle. The vehicle took off.
- A 35-year-old man from the vehicle was dropped off at a hospital in Clinton, and the driver left in the vehicle.
- Moments later, the same vehicle struck another vehicle. The suspect vehicle was abandoned.
- The man who was dropped off at the hospital suffered serious injuries.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES