SIU Investigating Death of Man in St. Catharines
Case Number: 23-OOD-193
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-OOD-193
- At about 12:40 a.m., the Niagara Regional Police Service received a report of a domestic dispute at a residence in the area of Cushman Road and Welland Avenue.
- Officers arrived and located the man in medical distress on the front lawn.
- Paramedics were called and took him to hospital. He was pronounced deceased at 1:55 a.m.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES