SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Man in Kirkland Lake
Case Number: 23-PFD-174
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-PFD-174
- At approximately 7:30 a.m. on May 9, 2023, the Ontario Provincial Police was called to the area of Duncan Avenue South and 2nd Street East for a man carrying an edged weapon.
- The officers encountered the man in the school parking lot of École secondaire catholique l’Envolée du Nord.
- The man refused to drop the weapon, and an interaction ensued.
- At least one officer deployed their conducted energy weapon at the man, and another officer discharged his firearm at the man. The man was struck.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES