SIU Investigating Peterborough Incident
Case Number: 23-OCI-088
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-OCI-088
- At approximately 2:30 a.m. on March 18, 2023, Peterborough Police Service patrol officers were made aware of a suspected vehicle theft in progress at the King Street Parkade, located at 202 King Street.
- As officers approached, the driver of the SUV fled.
- When an officer – who was also a dog handler – attempted to stop the SUV in the area of King Street and Aylmer Street, the SUV and police vehicle collided. The SUV proceeded to flee southbound on Aylmer Street, and the same officer followed.
- In the area of Morrow Park, the SUV driver went through a fence and into a construction zone. The driver fled on foot, and the officer gave chase on foot with his police dog.
- The man was apprehended shortly after. He was taken to hospital for treatment of dog bite injuries.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES