SIU Investigating Discharge of Firearm at Man in Ottawa
Case Number: 23-OFP-075
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-OFP-075
- In the afternoon of March 8, 2023, an individual reported to 911 that she heard a disturbance coming from an address in the 1800 block of Walkley Road.
- Officers were dispatched to the scene. Outside of the residence, the officers encountered a 44-year-old man who was in possession of a sword.
- An interaction ensued, and two officers discharged their conducted energy weapons at the man, and another officer discharged his firearm at the man. The man was not struck as a result of the firearm discharge.
- The man was transported to hospital.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES