SIU Investigating Death of Man in Oshawa
Case Number: 23-OOD-074
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-OOD-074
- At approximately 6 a.m. on March 3, 2023, officers with the Durham Regional Police Service (DRPS) were dispatched to an apartment building on Simcoe Street North to check on the well-being of a man at the request of his family.
- After speaking with the man, the officers left.
- Sometime later, the man was located outside of the building, deceased.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES