SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Nepean
Case Number: 23-OFI-071
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-OFI-071
- At approximately 9:40 p.m. on March 4, 2023, a person contacted the Ottawa Police Service to report concern for another individual, and that the individual was in possession of firearms.
- Officers attended a townhouse complex on Garden Glen Private and attempted to make contact with a 28-year-old man by phone and by knocking at the door. This was to no avail.
- Some time later, there was an exchange of gunfire between the man and police. Three officers discharged their firearms and the man was struck.
- The man retreated into the home, but he eventually surrendered.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES