SIU Investigating After Two Men Seriously Injured in Fall from Toronto Apartment Building
Case Number: 23-TCI-048
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-TCI-048
- At approximately 9:15 p.m. on February 17, 2023, members of the Toronto Police Service Gun and Gang Task Force and the Emergency Task Force attended 65 East Liberty Street to execute a warrant at a 7th floor apartment unit.
- Shortly after the ETF breached the unit door, two men went over the balcony. The 31-year-old man landed on the fourth floor, and the 27-year-old man landed on the ground.
- The men were transported to hospital. They are both in the intensive care unit.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES