SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Hamilton Arrest
Case Number: 23-OCI-015
- At approximately 12:30 p.m. on January 9, 2023, HPS officers pulled over a vehicle.
- While investigating one of the occupants of the vehicle, the officers learned that the man was wanted.
- The man, who was outside of the vehicle at this time, fled on foot and officers gave chase.
- In the area of Barton Street East and Ellis Avenue, a struggle ensued between the man and officers. He was arrested and taken to the police station where he was lodged in a cell.
- • When the man complained of pain, he was taken to hospital for treatment.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES