SIU Investigating Officer-involved Shooting of Man in Woodbridge
Case Number: 22-OFI-290
- At around 8 am this morning, York Regional Police (YRP) received a complaint about a suspicious vehicle on Hanlan Road in Woodbridge.
- Two YRP officers responded to the scene and an interaction ensued between the officers and a man.
- Both officers discharged their firearms, striking the man several times while he was outside of the vehicle.
- The man was taken to hospital for treatment of multiple gunshot wounds.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Aaron Murphy, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES