SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Ajax Collision Involving Police Cruiser
Case Number: 22-OVI-259
- At approximately 7:30 p.m. on October 1, 2022, a Durham Regional Police Service cruiser was involved in a collision with a silver Lexus on Kingston Road West, between Randall Drive and Church Street South.
- Three occupants from the Lexus were taken to hospital for treatment. One of the individuals, a 64-year-old woman, was diagnosed with a serious injury invoking the SIU’s mandate.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES