SIU Investigating Death of Man in Sarnia
Case Number: 22-OOD-236
- At approximately 11:30 a.m. on September 12, 2022, the Sarnia Police Service were called to conduct a wellness check of a man at a residence on London Road in Sarnia.
- An officer arrived and the man went into medical distress. The officer called for paramedics.
- Emergency Medical Services arrived and took over care of the man. He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead yesterday afternoon.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES