SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Barrie Arrest
Case Number: 22-OCI-222
- At approximately 8:45 p.m. on August 30, 2022, officers with the Barrie Police Service responded to the area of Barrie View Drive and Mapleview Drive West for a man causing a disturbance.
- Officers located the man in the parking lot of the Shell gas station located at 86 Barrie View Drive. There was an interaction, and officers arrested the man.
- He was transported to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES