SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Port Colborne
Case Number: 22-OFD-229
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-OFD-229
- At approximately 9 a.m. on September 4, 2022, Niagara Regional Police Service officers were dispatched to an address in the area of Main Street West and Canal Bank Road for a neighbour dispute.
- Upon police arrival, a person of interest went into his apartment and barricaded himself inside.
- The Emergency Task Unit (ETU) responded, and a negotiator made attempts to speak with the man. At approximately 2 p.m., the ETU conducted a forced entry. Inside the apartment, one of the officers discharged his firearm and the man was struck.
- The man was taken to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES