SIU Investigating Death of Man in Oshawa
Case Number: 22-OCD-218
- At approximately 5:30 a.m. on August 28, 2022, an individual contacted the Durham Regional Police Service as he had concerns about his brother’s well-being.
- Officers were dispatched to a home in the area of Harmony Road North and Adelaide Avenue East.
- Upon arrival, officers heard a sound coming from the garage. They entered and saw the man with a self-inflicted injury. He was taken to hospital.
- While in hospital, the man succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES