SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Orillia
Case Number: 22-PFI-213
- At approximately 4:15 a.m. on August 20, 2022, an Ontario Provincial Police officer observed a suspected impaired driver in the area of West Street.
- When the officer attempted to stop the vehicle, the motorist fled and the officer followed.
- In a parking lot located at 600 Sundial Drive, the vehicle collided with a light standard and two vehicles.
- As officers attempted to arrest two male occupants of the vehicle, a struggle ensued. One officer discharged his firearm, and an 18-year-old male was struck.
- Both vehicle occupants were apprehended and taken to hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES