SIU Investigating Death of Man in Ottawa Crash
Case Number: 22-PVD-208
- At approximately 10:42 p.m. on August 16, 2022, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was doing radar enforcement in the area of Highway 416.
- The officer saw a driver travelling at a high rate of speed and pursued the vehicle.
- The officer stopped the pursuit and later located the vehicle after it had hit a pole on Dilworth Road.
- The man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES