SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 22-TFD-205
- At approximately 2:30 p.m., Toronto Police Service officers responded to a 911 call about a woman who was seriously injured near a residence on Midland Avenue near Kingston Road in Scarborough.
- The man, believed to be involved in injuring the woman and who had a knife, took hold of a young child and entered a residence.
- Three officers shot the man.
- The man was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead at 3:24 p.m. The woman was taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries. The child was not physically injured.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES