SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Arrest of Man in Parking Lot of Burlington Plaza
Case Number: 22-TCI-196
- At approximately 4 p.m. on August 6, 2022, plainclothes officers with the Toronto Police Service were conducting an investigation at the Burlington Power Centre located at 1250 Brant Street.
- Officers arrested a man in the parking lot of the plaza. The man was in a Jeep.
- When the man complained of pain, he was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES