SIU Investigating Death of Woman Following Arrest in Caledon
Case Number: 22-POD-197
- At approximately 7:30 p.m. on August 5, 2022, the woman was arrested for impaired driving in the Caledon area. She was taken to the Ontario Provincial Police Caledon Detachment where she provided a breath sample. She was later released from custody.
- Shortly after 2:30 a.m. on August 6, 2022, the woman collapsed in a bar in Brampton. She was taken to hospital.
- While in hospital, the woman was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES