SIU Investigating Death of Man in North York
Case Number: 22-TCD-176
- At approximately 10:30 p.m. on July 9, 2022, Toronto Police Service officers were called to a residence near Finch Avenue East and Leslie Street for a man with a knife making threats and in mental distress.
- Two officers took the man into custody and he went into medical distress. Officers provided medical care until paramedics arrived.
- He was transported to hospital via ambulance and pronounced deceased just after midnight on July 10, 2022.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES