SIU Investigating After Police Officer Discharges ARWEN in Omemee
Case Number: 22-PFP-173
- At approximately 1 a.m. on July 5, 2022, police officers with the City of Kawartha Lakes detachment were dispatched to a residence on James Street North for a reported break and enter.
- Upon arrival, officers saw a man who had suffered injuries and they tended to him.
- The officers also observed three men running from the residence. One of these men was located in the rear yard of a residence located on Victoria Street East. There was an interaction, and one officer discharged his ARWEN at the man.
- The man was taken into custody. At this time, it does not appear he suffered any serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES