SIU Investigating Man’s Fall from Overpass in Ottawa
Case Number: 22-PCI-143
- Shortly after midnight on June 2, 2022, Ontario Provincial Police officers with the Ottawa detachment were dispatched to the Woodroffe Avenue overpass of Hwy 417 for a report of a man near the edge of the bridge.
- Upon the arrival of the first officer, the man got up on the barrier and held onto a sign.
- The officer engaged briefly with the man before the man fell to the highway below.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES