SIU Seeking Witnesses of OPP Vehicle, Subsequent Crash with Three People Seriously Injured in Selwyn Township
Case Number: 22-PVI-132
- At approximately 8:15 a.m. on May 20, 2022, an OPP officer, operating an unmarked police vehicle, attempted to stop the driver of a black sedan for passing a stopped school bus with its lights flashing.
- The driver of the sedan fled and collided with another car on Buckhorn Road, in the area of 11th Line and 12th Line. The 34-year-old driver of the car and two young children in the car were taken to hospital. The young girl was diagnosed with a serious injury.
- The driver of the sedan, a 44-year-old man, was seriously injured, and a female passenger, was seriously injured.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES