SIU Investigating Collision in Bowmanville
Case Number: 22-OVI-120
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-OVI-120
- At approximately 3:30 a.m. on April 30, 2022, officers with the Durham Regional Police Service responded to a call in the area of Bowmanville Avenue and Northglen Boulevard in Haydon.
- DRPS officers later spotted a vehicle of interest traveling on Bowmanville Avenue and began following the vehicle.
- In the Canadian Tire plaza located at 2000 Green Road in Bowmanville, the vehicle struck a light standard.
- Three individuals from the vehicle were arrested by police officers. One was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations