SIU Investigating Interaction Preceding Man’s Fatal Fall from Bridge in Toronto
Case Number: 22-TCD-112
- At approximately 12:40 a.m. on April 15, 2022, two officers with the Toronto Police Service were dispatched to the area of Millwood Road and Overlea Boulevard. They had received a call regarding a man sitting on the edge of the Leaside Bridge.
- The officers approached the man, and when he stood, an attempt was made to grab onto the man.
- A short time later, the man fell to the Don Valley Parkway below.
- He was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations