SIU Investigating OPP Officer Who Shot Man with ARWEN in Gravenhurst
Case Number: 22-PFP-086
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-PFP-086
- Just after midnight on March 24, 2022, OPP officers attempted to arrest the man at a home in Severn Bridge as part of a drug trafficking investigation.
- Officers spoke to the man to get him to exit the residence, but he refused.
- Officers entered the home and located the man armed with a knife.
- One officer shot and struck the man with an ARWEN and he dropped the knife. The man then fell into medical distress due to a suspected drug overdose. Officers administered Narcan to the man and he was arrested. He was released from hospital yesterday.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES