SIU Investigating Reported Serious Injury of Man in Interaction with Hamilton Police Officer
Case Number: 22-OCI-074
- At approximately 8 p.m. on March 8, 2022, Hamilton Police Service officers went to the man’s home near Rymal Road East and Upper Sherman Avenue after receiving a call for service.
- There was an interaction with the man and the officer. As a result of the interaction with police, the man is reported to have been seriously injured.
- In the afternoon of March 10, 2022, Hamilton Police Service notified the SIU of the man’s reported serious injury.
- The SIU is aware of the video of the incident and is reviewing it as part of the investigation.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES