SIU Investigating Death of Man in Niagara Parks Police Officer-Involved Shooting
Case Number: 22-OFD-059
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-OFD-059
- At approximately 2 p.m., two Niagara Parks Police officers responded to an area under the Rainbow Bridge near River Road and Hiram Street for a nuisance call involving the man.
- The man discharged bear spray at the officers. The man also had an edged weapon. There was an interaction, and an officer discharged his firearm at the man.
- The man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
- Both officers went to the hospital for treatment of injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES