SIU Investigating Death of Man After Hamilton Police Officer-Involved Shooting
Case Number: 22-OFD-057
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-OFD-057
- At approximately 5:18 p.m. on February 23, 2022, Hamilton Police Service officers responded to a call about a suspicious vehicle on Strathearne Place in Mount Hope.
- An officer approached a vehicle parked behind the suspicious vehicle. The driver drove toward the officer and the officer discharged his firearm at the man behind the wheel. The vehicle travelled a short distance and left the roadway before coming to a stop in a wooded area on Strathearne Place. The man was seriously injured.
- Paramedics transported the man to hospital where he was pronounced deceased shortly before 7 p.m.
- The other occupant in the vehicle was taken into custody. The individual was not injured.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES